protect all workers

Right now, federal officials are working on legislation for workers and businesses affected by the COVID-19 crisis!

Since drivers are misclassified as independent contractors, there’s a chance that we could be left out of any relief that’s targeted at employees. That can’t happen.

We’re the ones out here getting meals to people, giving them rides to the doctor and allowing millions of Americans to stay safe and socially isolated.

Please call your senators and tell them drivers must be included in any federal COVID-19 relief legislation!

Use this number: 1-877-267-5060 to be connected to your senators.

The hotline has both English and Spanish options.

Here’s what to say when you call:

Hello, my name is YOUR NAME and I live in CITY. I am calling to let the senator know that any COVID-19 relief package must provide economic security for every person no matter what they look like, where they’re from or what they do for a living. Legislation must be passed to expand unemployment insurance for franchisee employees, contracted workers, and tipped workers – including so-called Gig Workers – at $15 per hour and $2,000 per person with additional installments in direct cash relief.

It’s imperative that we make our voices heard on this. Otherwise we risk being left out of relief.

68 replies
  1. asid abodan
    asid abodan says:

Hello, my name is Aisd abodan and I live in Glendora CITY. I am calling to let the senator know that any COVID-19 relief package must provide economic security for every person no matter what they look like, where they’re from or what they do for a living. Legislation must be passed to expand unemployment insurance for franchisee employees, contracted workers, and tipped workers – including so-called Gig Workers – at $15 per hour and $2,000 per person with additional installments in direct cash relief.

2. Linda Ballard
    Linda Ballard says:

Hello, my name is Linda Ballard and I live in Lake Elsinore I am calling to let the senator know that any COVID-19 relief package must provide economic security for every person no matter what they look like, where they’re from or what they do for a living. Legislation must be passed to expand unemployment insurance for franchisee employees, contracted workers, and tipped workers – including so-called Gig Workers – at $15 per hour and $2,000 per person with additional installments in direct cash relief.

3. Dylan Bartz
    Dylan Bartz says:

Since I lost my career job. I’ve been driving Lyft as my main job just to make a living by paying off my bills, rent, food, and certain utilities for my car.

4. Francisco Gutierrez
    Francisco Gutierrez says:

I have been receiving emails from Lyft telling me the help that they’re giving which in my opinion is nothing and it is not helping no one. Here is what they’re saying.

Lydia (Lyft)

Mar 23, 2:06 PM PDT

Hey Francisco,

In light of the COVID-19 situation, the 20-ride minimum weekly requirement for Express Drive rentals is temporarily waived in all markets. The safety of our community is fundamental and we hope that this alleviates some stress you may have.

If you continue to rent with Express Drive, you will continue to be responsible for the weekly rental rate. As a reminder, there’s no long-term commitment when renting through Express Drive, and you’re only charged for days you have the car.

If you prefer, you are welcome to return the vehicle to your rental location.

While ride demand is temporarily down, we’re actively expanding services to create new opportunities for drivers, facilitate rides for those in need, and help distribute essential goods. To help protect drivers and the recipients, deliveries will be contactless.

For information on what we are doing surrounding this please visit this link here.

If there is anything more I can do to help please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best

Lydia (Lyft)

Mar 23, 1:27 PM PDT

Hey Francisco,

We will provide funds to drivers should they be diagnosed with COVID-19 or put under individual quarantine by a public health agency. This helps support drivers financially when they can’t drive, while also protecting our riders’ health. These funds will be given to affected drivers who are identified to us by public health officials or who contact our support team to self-report and provide documentation that they have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or put under individual quarantine by a public health agency. We will provide funds to affected drivers based on the rides they provided on the Lyft platform over the last four weeks.

Best

As I told them this is not help at all for us and we need real help. But they don’t really care about no one besides themselves. I hope you guys keep working hard for our rights and God bless you all for all your effort.

5. Ezekiel
    Ezekiel says:

The minimum request is to be included in the package as beneficiaries for the relief extended to tax payers whose sources of income have been impacted by covid-19 pandemic .

6. Bolaji Arowolo
    Bolaji Arowolo says:

We are requesting that we that are driving for Uber and Lyft be considered in the stimulus package because our job has been seriously affected and we have been serving the community nationally by working daily to reduce the number of accidents on our roads and reducing the number of DUI cases through our services to the nation.

7. Bolaji Arowolo
    Bolaji Arowolo says:

ello, my name is Bolaji Arowolo and I live in Highland City. I am calling to let the senator know that any COVID-19 relief package must provide economic security for every person no matter what they look like, where they’re from or what they do for a living. Legislation must be passed to expand unemployment insurance for franchisee employees, contracted workers, and tipped workers – including so-called Gig Workers – at $15 per hour and $2,000 per person with additional installments in direct cash relief.

8. Hugo
    Hugo says:

We lyft drivers need support can’t work with covid 19 we have family and small kids who need us as heads of household

9. Hugo
    Hugo says:

We need support from the company we aren’t making any money rent and Bill’s cabt wait my kids are 14 and 5 I have to.provide food

10. Jesus Garcia
    Jesus Garcia says:

Right now we as drivers are hurting due to the fear of being able to provide our ride share services whether if we work for Uber, Lyft or maybe both. These are hard times because we are not making any money to be able to pay our bills or our mortgage, now we don’t only live in fear of contracting the virus but also the fear of not being able to make our monthly payments. We fear that our credit score is going to take a plunge and fear that are darker days ahead of us. I would like to see our CEO’s to be able to take us in consideration in what’s going on right now.

11. Mostafa joharifard
    Mostafa joharifard says:

12. Walter Smith
    Walter Smith says:

I’m 60 + years old and can not work! I need income to live! Why are we forgotten there is more to America then corporations!

13. Marina Kuptsova
    Marina Kuptsova says:

I’m a driver for Lyft and Uber, my husband too… we both not made money for all of ours bills. How we can survive now and not to be on the street next month. I have kid too it’s hard time for everyone now.

14. Martha C Esteban
    Martha C Esteban says:

We are hard working people that risk our safety in many ways to provide for our families and should be given the same rights as any other hardworking class citizen. I having working as a driver with Uber for almost 5 years and have a high rating. As a driver.

Please consider are needs and as well as we face the same fears and risks drying this Corona Virus crisis

Sincerely ,

Martha CcEsteban

15. Leo Bailey
    Leo Bailey says:

Lyft and Uber drivers should be included because the demand for rides has been greatly affected by the coronavirus outbreak on US soil. Some drivers like myself included rely on the income our services provides us. Please include us drivers in the covid 19 relief.

16. Jeffrey Arnold
    Jeffrey Arnold says:

I fall into to high risk categories. I AM HIV positive and also have emphysema. I am continuing to drive because I have no other option if I want to eat. I have taken people to the ER, taken nurses to work, as well as ambulance dispatchers, Even one person who puts together microscopes that are being used to study COVID 19. I am also delivering food to those who are staying at home. Even err y ride I give I am putting myself at risk. I keep getting emails from Uber saying they are providing disinfection supplies but I have not seen them. I get messages from Uber CEO from a web address that I can’t respond to. I am putting my life on the line to make him money, but he can’t receive my email. I want to be heard and compensated in these v err y uncertain times. OP an making 1/4 of what I normally make and can’t even cover the cost of my weekly car rental. I need help now!

17. Arturo Marín aviles
    Arturo Marín aviles says:

Estamos peligrando en las calles trabajando y no hay nada que hacer estamos desesperados y no hay entrada de dinero para mantener ala familia ojalá que nos ayuden

18. Jetson
    Jetson says:

Que no se aprovechen de la necesidad de las personas pienso que deven de pagar por hora ya que nosotros pasamos más tiempo al volante de lo que nos pagan tengo pruebas que uber pone el mapa en promociones para que manejemos y cuando nos conectamos solo 5 minutos después desaparecen las áreas en promociones y no pagan lo que prometen

19. Jetson
    Jetson says:

Uber y lyft deven de proporcionar un seguro que pueda pagar los gastos por enfermedad por que todos los días estamos expuestos a contraer enfermedades al transportar personas enfermas sin saberlo lo que pagan solo alcanza para pagar gasolina,llantas ,frenos,cambios de aseite,limpieza ,para cubrir esos gastos tenemos que trabajar 2 semanas si nos ba vien y no es justo que no brinden seguro de salud para todos

20. Jetson
    Jetson says:

Exijo un mejor salario y beneficios para todos los conductores .por otro lado olvidaba mencionar que la reparación de una transición o un motor no lo pago ni trabajando un mes con ellos así que les pido que tomen conciencia y aprueben el seguro de salud y un mejor salario gracias

21. Jetson
    Jetson says:

22. Fred Ramezani
    Fred Ramezani says:

I as uber driver like to be part of economic pakage.it does not matter wether i am independent contractor or employee by uber i am human and i have family to feed and house payment.

23. Virgus hunt
    Virgus hunt says:

I stopped driving a month ago out of fear of becoming infected with corona virus. I did not want to risk infecting my family as we share my car. Uber was my secondary income and now I amfalling behind on my Bill’s. I now do not have supplemental income to support my family and pay some of my Bill’s.

24. Travis A Washington
    Travis A Washington says:

Hello, my name is Travis Washington and I live in Rancho Cucamonga Ca. I am calling to let the senator know that any COVID-19 relief package must provide economic security for every person no matter what they look like, where they’re from or what they do for a living. Legislation must be passed to expand unemployment insurance for franchisee employees, contracted workers, and tipped workers – including so-called Gig Workers – at $15 per hour and $2,000 per person with additional installments in direct cash relief.

25. Katherine Quesada
    Katherine Quesada says:

I’ve already lost my car! I’m also in real estate! I’ve lost all sources if my income! Hopefully my husband can hold on to his it job! How bad is it going to get?

26. Carlos Rivas
    Carlos Rivas says:

Uber need to pay for the CORONA VIRUS. WE CAN’T PROVIDE THE SERVICE WITHOUT PROTECTION. WE HAVE TO FALLOW ORDER FROM GOVERNMENT. TO BE SAFE. SO WE NEED TO GET PAY FOR ALL THIS DAYS. THANK YOU.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!